The Health Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water
Can you really improve your health with something as simple as a glass of water?
Experts say yes. They also agree adding a dash of citrus–especially lemon–increases water’s natural benefits, leading to better hydration and even improved skin. Healthline lists seven reasons lemon water is beneficial, and among those is its ability to support weight loss.
A writer for Prevention magazine gave lemon water a two-week try and found noticeable improvement in her skin and digestion. Wellness Mama recommends it as well, noting that lemon water aids weight loss and boosts the immune system.
If you add lemon to your daily water intake, what benefits can you expect to see?
- Increased Intake: You’ll likely increase your water intake since the flavoring helps you drink more water, more frequently.
- Vitamin C Boost: When your vitamin C is low, you’re at an increased risk for stroke, especially in those who are obese. Simply adding 1/4 c of lemon juice to your water gets you 30% of your daily recommended Vitamin C and gives your immune system extra support.
- Improved Skin Quality: Drinking water by itself definitely improves skin’s tautness, often desired after surgery. However, adding lemon seems to make this even more effective, though experts are not certain why.
- Continued Weight Loss: While this may not lead to as drastic a loss as experienced post-surgery, drinking lemon water can continue to help you maintain your goal weight.
- Better Digestion: A glass of warm lemon water in the morning can act as a laxative if needed. Drinking lemon water frequently during the day also helps aid digestion and decrease bloat, keeping your system regular.
Tips for Making Your Water Taste Great
Though lemon is definitely heralded for its many benefits, adding a little something extra to your daily intake can keep things from getting bland. Always use fresh lemon juice, and consider adding a sprig of mint, a small grating of fresh ginger, or even a dash of cinnamon. All of these spices have excellent medicinal properties to decrease inflammation, aid digestion, and regulate your body so you can be at your best.
How’s your water intake? If you’re relying on sodas, teas, coffees, or fruit juices, now’s the time to give lemon water a try. Be sure, as always, to discuss any dietary changes with your doctor.